Individuals who spend a lot of time outdoors due to work or during outdoor activities are at risk for wasp and bee stings. Depending on the level of sensitivity of an individual, some might have no reaction at all while others end up with a localized or a severe reaction or anaphylaxis that requires medical attention.
Allergies due to wasp and bee stings must be determined by measuring the allergen specific IgE antibody present in the body. The skin prick test is not considered reliable in diagnosing an allergy to wasp and bee stings and in most cases the skin tests must be carried out using a small injection administered under the skin. This can cause minimal pain and discomfort but not known to trigger anaphylaxis as long as the proper guidelines are observed.
The individual must consult an allergist since some might be at risk for severe reactions in the future and must be given an epinephrine auto-injector. It is vital that family member and friends must also learn how to administer a shot.
The necessary techniques when using an epinephrine auto-injector must be practiced under the supervision of an allergist or nurse. It is vital to ensure that the injection is not out of date. Those who are highly sensitive or allergic must have two doses of epinephrine or adrenaline on hand at all times wherever they go. In some cases, a repeat dose might be required while waiting for the arrival of the emergency team.
Preventive measures for wasp and bee stings
There are measures that must be observed in order to prevent wasp and bee stings. These are vital to minimize the risk for future allergic reactions among highly sensitive individuals.
- Bees generally sting as a self-defense measure. The best way to protect the body is to wear light-colored clothing that covers as much of the exposed body parts and avoid using any perfumes or scents.
- Bees are highly attracted to scents and bright colors. It is not advisable to confuse them by pretending to be a flower though. With this in mind, avoid using any bright-colored clothing, perfumes and even flowery prints.
- When spending time outdoors or working in the yard or garden, it is vital to wear gloves and long trousers.
- Wasps typically create nests in logs, walls or even underground. They are quite violent than bees and also engrossed with beverages and food, thus be careful when drinking from cans while staying outdoors.
- Do not irritate wasps or bees if they are nearby.
- The stings often occur on exposed feet, thus those who have sensitivities or allergies to wasp and bees stings must always wear shoes while outdoors.
- If there are nests of bees or wasps close to the house, call in professional extermination services for proper elimination.
- Those who are allergic to wasp and bee stings must keep the windows of vehicles shut closed while driving.