Initial signs of black mold exposure

The reaction of the body to allergies differs from one individual to another. Nevertheless, there are general symptoms that can help determine the source of a particular reaction such as exposure to black mold. Understandably, it is also important to properly identify black mold in order to treat and prevent the symptoms as well as provide the appropriate first aid care.

What is black mold?

Black mold or also called as Stachybotrys chartarum is characterized by its dark green or black appearance. It feels slimy until it has dried up on surfaces. Take note that black mold usually prefers materials at home that are cellulose-based such as ceiling tiles, wall board, wall paper, carpet and insulation.

An indication that black mold is present in your home is the musty smell and the onset of health problems, specifically respiratory issues. This is quite common after moving to a new building or to one that was recently flooded.

Areas that have high humidity, damp and have been flooded are prone to black mold growth. Likely places include basements, bathrooms and windows. Additionally, even areas that were exposed to leaks from pipes and holes in the roof are also potential areas where black mold can grow.

Symptoms of black mold exposure

Always bear in mind that there are many symptoms that can indicate black mold exposure. In most cases, not all the symptoms are apparent and oftentimes will change over time. Indications that black mold spores have entered the body include continuous sinus infections, increased respiratory issues, sore throat, rashes, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, tingling and numbness, sensitivity to light, red or burning eyes and abdominal pain.

Prevention

black mold

The mold will start to affect the nervous system resulting to dizziness, headache, diminished attention span and inability to concentrate.

If there are small amounts of black mold, it can be easily cleaned using bleaching powder, water and soap. As for large amounts, they must be cleaned using bleach or any cleaning solution for hard surfaces. Take note that black mold can be prevented by identifying potential areas where it can grow and clean it right away before it spreads.

Once you have determined the source of the black mold, you have to clean the area using a solution of bleach and water. This will work best on hard surfaces but absorbent or porous surfaces are better off disposed. Make sure that all the mold spores even the dead ones are properly eliminated to prevent any allergic reactions.

Important considerations when dealing with black molds

Always bear in mind that continuous exposure to the black mold spores can lead to toxic poisoning. The mold will start to affect the nervous system resulting to dizziness, headache, diminished attention span and inability to concentrate.

With the health risks involved if exposed to black molds, it is important to look for sources of the mold if respiratory issues are starting to affect family members. You can call in professional help if you are having a hard time determining the location of the mold and how to clean it.

Tags:

2 Responses to “Initial signs of black mold exposure”

  1. Tracy Desteph March 1, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

    Great information. I have been battling serious medical issues from black mold. My landlord temporarily fixed the problem. I am very upset with the lack of laws mandating mold exposure in family apartments.
    I am disabled and have respiratory problems and brain injury.
    Even if I report this to the health boards, he has fulfilled the legal obligation by washing and re caulking my bathroom.
    The mold spores are still in the air. I have purchased an air purifier for the air quality. I still have the minor symptoms. I’m going to be moving out soon!

    • Diane Hubbell May 31, 2016 at 12:43 am #

      I have been sick since January with physical and cognitive symptoms., On May 13, I smelled mold and reported it to my landlord, who basically blew me off. I hired a remedial expert who tested and confirmed stachbotrys (black mold). I informed my landlord who has hired a contractor for clean up, but I was informed they already go above what the law requests. The problem is that in AZ, the Dept of Health doesnt have any guidelines for cleaning up black mold, even though it is a TOXIN, Things need to change. I have already reported my findings to the Dept of Health, but I think I am going to have to elevate this concern or it will get swept under the rug. I wonder how many other people are suffering from mold toxicity and dont even know it. If you want to learn about Black Mold and how it can make you sick, go to Jill Carnahan, MD of Boulder, CO on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_8UOUsM_rY

Leave a Reply

Please complete this captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.