Vaginal bleeding that occurs during pregnancy can be distressing to many women. Nevertheless, the bleeding is not often serious and most that have experienced pregnancy bleeding were able to deliver healthy full-term babies. Once a women experiences pregnancy bleeding, it is important to call a doctor or bring her to the nearest hospital in order to rule out other possible problems.
Bleeding that occurs during the first trimester is usually due to implantation where the fertilized egg attaches to the uterus or changes in the cervix during the pregnancy. If an infection develops, it can also lead to vaginal bleeding. Oftentimes, pregnancy bleeding can indicate serious problems such as ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage or molar pregnancy. It is important that you know the appropriate measures to take to properly manage pregnancy bleeding.
Management of pregnancy bleeding
- Call a doctor right away and request for emergency assistance. You have to ensure that a doctor is consulted to rule out other possible problems. Make sure that instructions provided by the doctor must be followed. You can also provide panty liners or pads.
- The doctor will perform a pelvic examination and an ultrasound is carried out. The ultrasound will check the heartbeat of the baby and measure the growth of the baby while the pelvic exam will reveal the condition of the cervix.
- The woman will undergo testing for infection particularly for bladder infection which commonly occurs during pregnancy and can lead to bleeding.
- Blood tests are performed in order to determine the level of hCG or human chorionic gonadotropin and the progesterone hormone levels if pregnancy bleeding occurs. A low level of progesterone can lead to bleeding early during pregnancy. The doctor usually prescribes a progesterone supplement to boost the level up to normal and stop the bleeding. Always remember that low level of progesterone that is not treated right away can lead to a miscarriage.
- As a first aid measure, you have to encourage the woman to rest and elevate her legs. Always remember that bed rest is advised until the bleeding stops. When elevating the legs, use 1-2 pillows.
- Take note that the baby can feel the emotions of the mother. With this in mind, you have to encourage the woman to stay calm and positive. Being anxious is not good for both the woman and her baby. Once the woman maintains a positive mindset, she can quickly recover.
Considerations to bear in mind
If a women experiences vaginal bleeding during pregnancy even a minor one, it is still best to consult a doctor right away.
Once pregnancy bleeding occurs, the woman must request for a progesterone level blood test. Always remember that this hormone is vital to a healthy and problem-free pregnancy. In case the level of progesterone is low, the doctor will prescribe a progesterone supplement. Additionally, seek immediate medical care if the bleeding is heavy enough to soak the pad being used, accompanied by sharp pain or cramping and presence of clots or materials.