If a tanning bed is used for the first time, always remember that it is best to use it for only 10 minutes every third day and eventually increase the time frame after three weeks to 15 minutes. The tanning bed can be used not more than 20 minutes after two months without risking burns.
Take note that if an individual uses a tanning table for 20 minutes, burns can easily occur. Once burns develop, there are several measures that can help the affected area heal. At this point, the individual must avoid using the tanning bed for several weeks until the burns completely heal. It is best to follow the appropriate time frame when using the tanning bed if the individual still insists on using one.
First aid measures for tanning bed burns
You can perform these first aid care measures in order to properly manage a tanning bed burn as well as prevent further damage on the affected area.
- Apply an ice pack on the tanning bed burn for 10 minutes. With a spoonful of honey, spread it evenly on the affected area. Make sure that the affected area is not covered by clothing since the honey is sticky. Leave the honey on the affected area for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
- Apply witch hazel oil on the affected area. You can easily find this oil in any drugstore and does not require a prescription. Apply it by rubbing over the site of injury. Take note that witch hazel is also used as an astringent to help heal swelling, sores and burns.
- Apply aloe vera on the tanning bed burns. You can easily find aloe vera products in drugstores and grocery stores. This is used for its soothing effect.
- You can also use plain yogurt over the affected area. This must be done after the individual takes a shower and must be left in place for at least 15 minutes. Yogurt will help the skin heal but usually takes a longer time. Additionally, it can also hasten the healing process.
- The individual should take a warm bath using ¼ cup of baking soda added into the tub. The baking soda will help heal the tanning bed burn. The individual should soak in the tub between 15-30 minutes.
Important considerations to bear in mind
If aloe vera or witch hazel is used on the affected areas, they must be rubbed over the affected skin. You no longer need to rinse it away and can promote the healing of the skin during the day.
When using a tanning bed, the individual must drink plenty of water in order to stay hydrated. Observing the proper time frame when using a tanning bed can greatly help prevent tanning bed burns from occurring. In case you do not know how to use one, ask assistance from the professionals.