Pomegranates contain antioxidant content higher than red wine or green tea. Along with a number of nutritional benefits, pomegranate is considered as a super fruit but there is always a downside that you should be familiar with. In some individuals, the consumption of pomegranates can oftentimes lead to dangerous allergic reactions among highly sensitive individuals.
It is sad to note that some individuals who are highly sensitive might end up with an allergic reaction after consuming this food or via direct contact on the skin. Once an individual is highly sensitive to certain fruits, including pomegranates, it is best to avoid any possible exposure.
An allergy to pomegranates
It is important to note that allergies to pomegranates are considered rare. In a study conducted, the fruit is often considered as food that can help fight off the symptoms of other allergies. On the other hand, an allergy to pomegranate can be life-threatening among individuals who are highly sensitive. Even though rare, it is always best to consider the possibility of an allergy seriously.
What are the signs and symptoms?
The symptoms that were reported for allergic reactions to pomegranates are characteristic for various types of food allergies. Hives, itching, puffiness, irritation within the throat and abdominal pain are the usual symptoms.
In severe cases, it typically involves swelling of the throat, shortness of breath and anaphylactic shock. Exposure of the skin with pomegranate can also trigger an allergic reaction, possibly causing hives, runny nose, swelling, itchy eyes and difficulty breathing.
If any of these symptoms start to manifest, it is best to schedule an appointment with a doctor for proper assessment of the condition or start the right form of treatment.
It is important to note that home remedies should not be opted for proper medical care but until that time, you can help alleviate the symptoms with these measures. It is recommended to avoid further contact with the potential food which is no other than pomegranates. In case the symptoms involve a skin issue, avoid irritating the area by scrubbing or scratching or allowing prolonged exposure to water and soap. It is recommended to use protective gear in case exposure to water is unavoidable. You have to apply an ointment or lotion to maintain the moisture in the skin and wear loose-fitting clothes. Nasal sprays, antihistamines or decongestants can help relieve the symptoms experienced by the individual.
When it comes to severe reactions, immediate medical attention is required. Breathing issues as well as anaphylactic shock can be deadly if not treated promptly. You have to watch out for fainting, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, wheezing, chest pain and subcutaneous swelling.
As for less urgent symptoms, a doctor should be consulted so that a proper diagnosis can be given as well as start the appropriate treatment to prevent the symptoms from getting worse.