The skin that surrounds the eye is considered as the thinnest region of skin on the body and highly delicate. It simply means that even minimal irritation can lead to puffiness. The puffiness that develops on the area surrounding the eye can be triggered by various factors such as lack of sleep, salty diet, allergies, fluid retention and aging. There are different ways to minimize the appearance of eye puffiness and most of these can be carried out at home.
Steps on minimizing eye puffiness
These are ways in order to reduce the eye puffiness. You can enroll in a first aid course so that you can manage this symptom, especially if caused by allergies.
- Store a metal spoon in the freezer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the spoon and gently position it over the closed eyelid of the individual for a minute and then place it over the other closed eyelid for another minute. You have to alternate the placement of the spoon on both eyes until the spoon is not cold anymore. You can repeat the process if needed. For faster relief, you can store 2 spoons in the freezer and place on both eyelids at the same time.
- Apply two damp tea bags in the freezer for about 10 minutes until frozen. Once the tea bags are chilled, pour a tablespoon of olive oil on a small-sized plate. With a cotton ball, pat it in the olive oil and wipe it over the eyelids of the individual. Remove the tea bags from the freezer and position directly on the closed eyelids of the individual. Leave in place for 8-10 minutes and then instruct the individual to wash his/her face.
- Encourage the individual to drink a lot of fluids throughout the day about 8-10 glasses a day depending on the weight of the individual. If the individual weighs more, he/she must drink more. The eye puffiness can be triggered by fluid retention.
- You can stimulate the blood vessels in the skin by tapping gently beneath the eyes. Use the index finger and tap beneath the eye, moving in a direction from one side of the eye to the other side. Just make sure not to tap too hard since this can damage the capillaries close to the surface of the skin that can lead to redness.
- Encourage the individual to sleep. Make sure that he/she will get enough sleep at night especially adults who need at least 8 hours of sleep.
- The individual must cut down on the intake of salt or avoid foods that are high in sodium. An increased amount of salt in the body will lead to water retention and causes eye puffiness.
Important considerations to bear in mind
Eye puffiness can be hereditary. In case the puffiness does not vanish after performing these home remedies, it is best to consult a doctor. In some cases, the bags that form under the eye are due to again or damage on the skin.