What are the detrimental health effects of mushrooms?

Throughout the years, mushrooms have been a popular addition to various dishes, sauces, salads or served sautéed alone as a side dish. Take note that not all types of mushrooms are safe for consumption since they can cause various side effects. The specialty mushrooms are readily available in groceries and these are commercially produced and proven safe for consumption, but some are capable of causing negative health effects if an individual is allergic or the mushrooms are contaminated with certain types of bacteria. If you are planning to eat a dish that contains mushrooms, it is best to take the necessary precautions just to be safe.

Allergic reaction to mushrooms

The spores that are produced by some types might trigger allergic reactions in highly sensitive individuals. Some might have mold allergies that can be instigated by consuming mushrooms. Take note that the mushroom spores or mold spores are released into the air in moist environments and can trigger an allergic reaction if an individual is exposed. In most cases of mold allergies, it can lead to asthma, respiratory infections or lung disease.


In case the individual ate mushrooms that are contaminated with the bacteria, it might lead to diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramping.

Food poisoning

Food poisoning is also a negative side effect of eating mushrooms that were contaminated by campylobacter jejuni which is usually present on commercially-grown mushrooms. Incorrect cleaning methods or cooking methods, improper pasteurization and cross-contamination with other animal-derival foods can cause bacterial contamination.

In case the individual ate mushrooms that are contaminated with the bacteria, it might lead to diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramping. Take note that this strain of bacteria is highly sensitive to dryness and extreme cold. If you want to ease the symptoms of food poisoning experienced by the individual and hasten the recovery period, click here.


It is important to note that one type of mushroom, specifically psilocybin or magic mushrooms can trigger distorted vision or hearing, irrational behavior, hallucinations, dissociation from surroundings or people as well as psychosis. This can cause an altered perception after 20 minutes of ingestion and the effects can last up to 6 hours. Take note that the mushroom is either eaten or added to tea. The negative physical side effects include drowsiness, muscle weakness, nausea, ataxia and vomiting.


The mushrooms available in groceries are generally safe for consumption as long as the individual is not allergic. On the other hand, wild mushrooms can be deadly. Several wild mushrooms strikingly resemble the edible mushrooms such as button mushrooms but are toxic and can be fatal if they are eaten. Picking up wild varieties must be avoided. The deadly types of mushrooms that must not be eaten include false morel, amanitas and little brown mushrooms. When out in the wilderness, do not attempt to pick up wild mushrooms since they might be poisonous.


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Please complete this captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.