It is important to note that arsenic is considered as a naturally-occurring substance that is present in minimal amounts in soil, rocks and ground water. Arsenic also has industrial uses in some metal facilities and mining undertakings. It is also a component used in rat poison and pesticides. Even though arsenic is used medicinally throughout history, arsenic is considered highly toxic and results to death upon ingestion in a large dose or through long-term exposure at lower dosages.
Always bear in mind that an individual can swallow or inhale arsenic depending whether it is in solid, fume or liquid form. The symptoms typically manifest about 30 minutes after ingestion with a bad taste in the mouth and salivation. These are followed by vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea as well as seizures and shock. Death can occur due to the shock and seizures or even due to kidney failure that develops after some time. Arsenic poisoning is considered highly lethal if the individual was exposed a few hours to several days of exposure.
Arsenic moves at a slow rate
In some cases, individuals can experience poisoning due to arsenic at a slow rate. This typically occurs in certain parts of the globe where arsenic contaminates the drinking water or where workers are frequently exposed to low levels of arsenic such as in metal facilities, pesticide plants or mining industries.
The symptoms of chronic arsenic poisoning are different from those who are suffering from an acute exposure. The initial symptoms include changes in the skin pigmentation and growths on the skin that cause either white or dark spots. As time passes by, those who are subjected to constant exposure to arsenic will develop cancer, especially lung or bladder cancer.
When to consult a doctor
It is important to note that arsenic tends to accumulate in the hair follicles, toenails and fingernails. Healthcare professionals diagnose protracted arsenic poisoning by assessing these tissues for arsenic.
An acute arsenic poisoning is diagnosed by checking the immediate history of the symptoms and determining a possible source. This is usually treated with dimercarporal injections which are given several times for several days. The early detection and treatment are vital since arsenic tends to work at a fast rate and can cause death or permanently damage the kidney is just a span of a few hours. If you want to learn more how to manage this type of poisoning, click here.
Once an individual endured lasting exposure to minimal amounts of arsenic, the accumulated toxins can be flushed out the body through chelation. Take note that chelation therapy involves medications or other substances to help the body clear out toxic metals such as mercury.
There are also some dietary components that can also help remove certain toxins such as the amino acid cysteine and sulfur as well as fiber. There are also other dietary supplements that help eliminate toxins such as coenzyme Q10, garlic, amino acid L-lysine and alfalfa.